Full-time 40 hours per week, 12 months per year
The Grand Erie District School Board’s 2,800 employees provide quality education to approximately 26,000 full-time equivalent students who attend our 72 schools. The Board spans a geographic area encompassing the City of Brantford and the Counties of Brant, Haldimand and Norfolk. The Board requires a qualified full-time Temporary Carpenter.
The Carpenter must be able to perform skilled work in maintenance, repair, alteration and remodeling of buildings including:
- rough and finished carpentry
- tear down and rebuild of partitions
- installation of new flooring such as wood, linoleum, carpet, or tile
- build tables, cabinets, shelves, and desks from rough sketches and blueprints
- install pre-hung, slab, wood-framed, and metal doors and window frames
- repair doors and door hardware
- repair window frames, tables, and chairs
- perform plaster/drywall work and patch plastering on walls
- pour concrete to make floors, walkways, pads or other projects
They must also perform preventative maintenance, routine maintenance, installation and repair on the Board’s mechanical equipment, HVAC systems, well pumps and water treatment equipment. In addition to, they will need to deal with day to day function of electrical facilities in schools and respond to reports of electrical malfunctions, breakdowns and power failures. Make routine electrical repairs such as replacing motors, exhaust fans, lighting fixtures, electrical outlets, appliances, light switches and ballasts. Assemble, install and repair pipes, fittings and fixtures of water, heating and drainage systems. Repair or replace leaking and defective roofing using materials such as roll, roofing, roof coating, primer sealers and flashing. Comply with legal requirements with respect to safety and fire code, building code and other related laws and regulations. Prepare and maintain accurate records as required, including work orders, requisitions for supplies, and maintenance records for maintenance/mechanical equipment.
- Minimum grade 12 education
- Previous experience in a similar role will be considered an asset
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Completion of relevant trade certification (ie Facility Maintenance, Mechanic, Facility Services Technician, Carpenter) and must be registered and active with the Ontario College of Trades
- Current computer skills to access the internet, use the Board’s email system (Outlook) and work order system
- Ability to exercise good judgement and prioritize work assignments
- Ability to work effectively as part of a service delivery team
- Superior customer service skills
- Minimum Class G driver’s licence which must be maintained while employed
The successful candidate will be required to use their own vehicle for the purpose of carrying Board equipment, tools, supplies, etc. and for travelling between job sites.
If your qualifications, positive attitude and commitment to excellence make you an ideal candidate for consideration, please submit your application, marked “personal and confidential”, which includes a complete resume, cover letter (one document if submitted electronically) with the names and telephone numbers of at least three professional references; your current supervisor must be provided as a reference. Your application must be received by 4:00 p.m. Thursday May 9, 2019. Apply to:
The Grand Erie District School Board
349 Erie Avenue, Brantford, Ontario N3T 5V3
Fax (519) 759-5362 or Email email@example.com Please quote posting FS 46-18-19
Applicants with a disability that requires an accommodation to enable their participation in the interview process should advise the Board when contacted for an interview. Any assessment and selection materials and processes used in the interview process can be made available in an accessible format, upon request in advance.
All new employees are required to provide an original Police Record Check (which includes a “vulnerable sector screen”) acceptable to the Board prior to the commencement of employment.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those considered for an interview will be contacted.